I’ve recently adopted a healthier lifestyle and I could not feel better about myself. I’ve been avoiding junk food, carbonated drinks and sugar and instead loading my diet with small, healthy yet yummy meals. I feel fresher and feel much healthier overall. One of the trickiest meals for me to plan is snack time because it is really easy to get tempted and grab a packet of chips or something. So I’ve been making healthy yet delicious snacks and I’m going to share with you the recipe for one of my favourites today – mixed sprouts usal.
For cooking sprouts:
* 200 gms mixed sprouts, about 1.5 cups mixed sprouts
* 3 cups water for cooking sprouts
* 1.5 tbsp oil
* 7-8 small garlic, sliced length wise
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1/3 cup chopped tomatoes
* 1 tsp green chilles
* 1 tsp coriander powder
* 1.5 tsp garam masala
* 1/8 tsp Hing
* 1/4 tsp haldi powder
* 1 cup water/as required
* 1/4 cup fresh grated coconut
* 1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped finely
* salt as per taste
*1-2 lime juice wedges
*3-4 tbsp finely chopped onion
Cooking mixed sprouts:
- Take 200 Gm of mixed sprouts in a bowl or pan. Rinse the sprouts very well. You can also use fine strainer to rinse the sprouts.
- Add the rinsed sprouts in the pressure cooker along with 2 cups of water.
- On a medium flame, pressure cook the sprouts for 3-4 whistles or 6-7 min or till they are cooked completely. If you do not have a pressure cooker, then cook the sprouts in a pan with enough water. Cooking sprouts in a pan will take a longer time to cook. Once sprouts are cooked, reserve the stock for the usal.
- Heat 1.5 tbsp of oil in a pan
- Add sliced garlic and sauté on low flame, till they become translucent.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and green chillies.
- Then add turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and generous pinch of asafoetida.
- Mix the spices very well with the onion tomato mixture on a low flame.
- Then add the boiled sprouts along with the stock. Mix very well.
- Now pour 1 cup water
- Season with salt as per taste.
- Simmer usal for 4-5 mins on low flame till it bubbles.
- Then add 1 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves.
- Cover and cook for a min on a low flame.
- Remove the lid add 1/4 cup of fresh grated coconut and mix well.
- Stir well and simmer for 1-2 min more.
- By now the usal will start thickening. Once it does, switch off the gas.
- While serving sprinkle usal with 1 tbsp of chopped onion and some lime wedges. Serve mix sprouts usal with paw or roti or have as is.
I hope you guys try the recipe and end up loving it as much as I do! Do share your thoughts in comments below.